Fiberglass bathub may be damaged and have a crack in some side. If it is happen on your fiberglass bathub, then you may need some replacement or repair. A replacement may costs a lot and not preferable if the cracks are still possible to handle by you. However, you are able to fix the cracks if you want to with some items and effort. Here is the way to repair fiberglass bathub by you.
Preparation – Fiberglass Bathup Repair By Yourself
When you want to do the Fiberglass Bathup Repair, you have to prepare some of things first. The most important thing is to make sure whether the bathub that you want to repair is a fiberglass or not to avoid wrong way to repair and items to buy. You can check it by using a wooden spoon or the same things which won’t hurt the fiberglass. If it is fiberglass, of course it won’t make any metallic sound.
After that, you can start to buy the items which you will use on repairing your fiberglass bathub. You will need a fiberglass repair kit, marine plastic filter, gel coat, color tint, coarse sandpaper, sandpaper, gloves and plastic wrap. However, when you want to buy the kit, you have to choose the appropriate color. This is important since there are some of the repairing kits have colorants which may affect the color of your fiberglass bathub. So when you buy any, make sure that the color match.
Steps – Fiberglass Bathup Repair
After you buy all of the items listed there, now you can start.
- Clean the area that you want to repair.
- Remove the wax, oil, soap scum and other things on the surface by using medium grit sandpaper.
- Rinse it to make sure that the repair kit able adhere the bathub.
- Some of the repair process will need a fiberglass cloth reinforcing. However, you can skip this step if you don’t really need to do it.
- Follow the instruction on the kit and make sure that you understand it.
- Use the latex gloves to make sure that you wont harm your hands.
- Sand the fiberglass until you get smooth surface which blends with the bathtub. Do it several times until you think it is smooth enough.
- Mix the gel coat with tint and make sure that the color will blends with the bathtub itself.
- Brush the gel coat for about 1/8 inch thick on the damaged area and cover it with some plastic. This is needed so that the cure will do properly.
- Let the gel coat for about one night
- Blend the repair areas with the other side of the bathub with the wet sandpaper.
Tips – Fiberglass Bathup Repair By Yourself
Anyway, when you are repairing large area on the bathub, you can use some powder sanders rather than the common one. This will help you a lot to fix the damage faster and easier. Other than that, the reinforcing also commonly comes with the kit that you buy so that you can save your money.